Welcome to Gold Driving’s trailer Training Division
At Gold we offer a variety of towing related course to suit your needs.
Trailer Training We Offer:
- B+E courses with your B+E test at the end
- First time towing courses
- First time trailer manoeuvring courses
- Caravan courses
- Towing confidence building courses
With Gold Driving all our reversing and hitching manoeuvres are coached at our locked off road training area.
First things first…. do you have the correct licence category to tow what you wish to tow?
Category B – if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997.
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.
The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:
- before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
- on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg
Basic towing and manoeuvring session.
If you don’t need to take the B+E test but you’ve never towed before, we can help with a first time towing and
On this course we will cover:
- Trailer road-worthiness
- Vehicle set up for towing
- Coupling and uncoupling
- General rules for towing
- General driving with trailer
This course is a 5 hour session and costs £190
- Sessions built around your needs and requirements
- Price on Application (caravan not supplied)
Towing experience/confidence building courses
- Course built around your needs and requirements
- Price on application
B+E trailer training courses with test
You will be trained to the required standard to pass the D.V.S.A. trailer test and use our vehicle and trailer to take the test (usually at the end of your course)
In this course you will be coached through:
- Rules and regulations when towing
- Show me, tell me safety questions
- Un-coupling and coupling
- Reversing manoeuvre
- Controlled stop
- Driving up to required standard
Before we book you on a course, in order to assess the course length you require we can carry out an assessment of your reversing and driving with our B+E test ready vehicle and trailer.
This assessment is a 3 hour session at £89.
Course Types and Prices
2 day course
Suitable for clients with plenty of towing/reversing experience and driving standard is high. Less time will be spent on reversing and dual carriageways and no time to cover motorways.
This is a 14 hour course, 12 hours of tuition, 2 hours for test and debrief.
£647 inc D.V.S.A. test fee
3 day course
For clients with less towing/reversing experience, or particularly inexperienced in a certain area, eg reversing.
This is a 21 hour course, 19 hours of tuition, 2 hours for test and debrief.
£913 inc D.V.S.A. test fee
4 day course
For clients that have never towed before or standard of driving needs serious improvement to meet D.V.S.A. driving test standards.
This Is 28 hour course, 26 hours of tuition, 2 hours for test and debrief
£1179 inc D.V.S.A. test fee
About the B+E test
The B+E test is an hour and a half long test. In this test you will be asked to:
- Answer 5 ‘Show me, Tell me’ questions
- Complete the reversing manoeuvre
- Uncouple and couple the car and trailer
- Controlled stop (1 in 3 tests conduct a controlled stop)
- A 50 minute drive with 10 minutes of independent driving
During the whole test you will be continually assessed to D.V.S.A. standard of driving (known as ‘driving standard’).
You will be allowed up to 15 minor driving faults, but any more or any one Serious or Dangerous faults will fail the test.